Academic Planning Unit
History of Academic Planning Unit in Nigeria
Academic Planning Unit in Nigerian Universities was established in the early 1980s by National Universities Commission (NUC) with the main objective of coordinating the academic programmes in the universities to enhance growth and development and streamline programmes to avoid duplication of courses and inefficient utilization of resources.
Functions of the Unit:
- To collect, analyze, interpret and manage data for the development of the university;
- To ensure compliance with NUC Basic Minimum Academic Standards (BMAS).
Establishment of ABUAD Academic Planning Unit
ABUAD commenced academic programmes on the 4th of January 2010 and its Academic Planning Unit was established in March 2010.
Structure of the ABUAD Academic Planning Unit
The unit is domiciled in the Office of the Vice Chancellor as enshrined in the ABUAD academic Brief.
Director, Pioneer from March 2010 till Date
LAWAL, Yekini Olawaiye, HND. Mechanical Engineering with Distinctions (Yaba, 1973), MBA (Uniben, 1988). Ph.D. in Business Administration, Operations Research, (Uniben, 1998). MIPlantE (1975), AMNIM, (1986). MNSE (1998), COREN Reg. (2000). FNSE, (2010), MNIM (2014).
Assistant Director: Vacant
General Administration: Â From September 2011 till Date
OLAPADE, Olubunmi Omotayo, HND, Office Technology and Management Upper Credit (Federal Polytechnic, Ado-Ekiti, 2012), ND, Secretarial Administration, (The Polytechnic, Ibadan 1994) and Diploma in Computer Applications,1995.
Standards, Control Quality and Accreditation: From October, 2011 till date
SALAMI, Oluwatosin Abdulrasheed, B.Sc, Crop Production with Second Class Upper (OOU, 2009), AISMN (2010), MNIM (2010).
Data Management: From October, 2012 till date
ADEJUWON, Samuel Oluwaseun, OND, Mathematics and Statistics, Upper Credit, (Rufus Giwa Polytechnic, Owo, 2005) B.Sc Statistics with Second Class Upper (EKSU, 2010),
Functions of ABUAD Academic Planning Unit
At the inception main mandate of the unit was to review the curricula of the pioneer programmes of the new university in compliance with the NUC BMAS. Its mandate was later expanded to include the following:
- To develop curricula for some new academic programmes for the university which are new to the Nigerian academic environment but in compliance with the NUC BMAS.
- To plan the academic programmes of the university in conformity with its academic brief.
- To expand the academic programmes of the university to include programmes in Engineering, Medicine and Health Sciences in compliance with the NUC BMAS.
- To ensure adequate provision of teaching and learning facilities.
- To ensure efficient and effective utilization of academic resources.
- To liaise with the NUC on academic matters and the relevant Professional regulatory agencies for quality control and accreditation.
- To liaise with other universities within and outside the country for purpose of academic cooperation, academic staff and students exchange programmes.
- To collect, analyze and maintain physical and electronics data bank on staff and students statistics for the purpose of planning and budgeting.
- To coordinate the preparation of ABUAD report to the Universities System Annual Review Meeting (USARM).
- To coordinate the preparation of academic brief and periodic Strategic Plans for the university.
- Established the unit from its inception.
- Coordinated the development of the examination results software to protect the integrity of the University Examinations.
- Coordinated the expansion of the University academic programmes from 11 in 2010 to 34 in 2014.
- Coordinated the preparation of stable academic calendar since inception
- Coordinated the Professional Accreditation of the following professional programmes:
- Accounting by the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria (ICAN).
- Banking and Finance by the Chartered Institute Bankers of Nigeria (CIBN).
- Pre-accreditation of B.Eng. of the programmes by the Council for the Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria (COREN). Final accreditation is just due and it is in progress.
- LLB Law by the Council for Legal Education in Nigeria (CLEN).
- Medicine and Surgery by the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria.
- B.NSc. Nursing Science by the Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria (NMCN).
- B.Sc. Computer Science by the Computer Professional (Registration Council) of Nigeria (CPN).
- Human Biology.
- B.Eng. Mechatronics Engineering.
- Security and Intelligence Studies.
- Social Justice.
- Coordinated the review of the university academic brief and students population projection.
- Coordinated the introduction of four new academic programmes by ABUAD into the Nigerian University system. They are:
- Coordinated the NUC Accreditation activities of 25 programmes and secured accreditation for all. The programmes are:
- B.Sc. Accounting
2 B.Sc. Banking & Finance
- B.Sc. Economics
- B.Sc. Media & Communication Studies
- B.Sc. Tourism and Events Management
- B.Sc. Peace and Conflict Studies
- B.Sc. Political Science
- B.Sc. International Relations and Diplomacy
- B.Sc. Intelligence and Security Studies
COLLEGE OF SCIENCES
- B.Sc. Biochemistry
- B.Sc. Human Biology
- B.Sc. Microbiology
- B.Sc. Computer Science
5. B.Sc. Industrial Chemistry
6. B.Sc. Agriculture
7. B.Sc. Mathematics
8. B.Sc. Physics
COLLEGE OF MEDICINE AND HEALTH SCIENCES
10. BNSc. Nursing
11. B.Sc Human Nutrition and Dietetics
12. B.Sc. Anatomy
13. B.Sc. Physiology
14. B.Sc. Medical Science Laboratory
ARTS AND HUMANITIES
15. B.A English
COLLEGE OF LAW